Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The one without a lab

"Tonight's the night."

Got around to watching the season premier of Dexter.
Amazing show, really. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys thrillers. Not sure how I feel about the way they're handling his "emotions", but I think I get it. I used to be really confused over it, though. The way the show is written, it almost seems like they go out of their way to paint him as a cold, calculating, emotionless killer. I'm not fond of terms like "sociopath" and "psychopath" (how well do we even know his capability to empathise?), but he is definitely impaired when it comes to relating to others. Of course, it's been obvious since near the beginning that he has much more emotional depth than stated, so the real twist here is how he's discovering this for himself. For this reason I really like the limited perspective of the narrator; you can see these biases through his own eyes. Little points of incongruity where you realize that he doesn't even understand himself, much less others, as well as he thinks. I think his "delusions" of Harry can be seen as a manifestation of these contradictions between the way he sees things and the way he actually feels. Be it intentional, or simply inconsistent writing... the end result is absolutely brilliant. I always expect a lot from this show, and it never fails to deliver.

Well... there's still no Cyberdoakes. But I can let that slide.

22 comments:

  1. I liked the premiere ,but am waiting to make a final decision on this new season until more eps. come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to watch this. I think I'll get some now actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have it dvr'd going to watch it soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still catching up... going to start season 3 soon, but I've been busy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to see this show, mostly because I lack premium cable and don't like unscrupulous means, but also the premise strikes me as a bit strange. A good serial killer? Wat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah, I still haven't gotten around to seeing this show yet. I'll grab it on dvd sometime during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to start watching this show, there are just so many good shows on these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to watch this show. I haven't seen any of it, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not really a fan of the show, but I can understand why people dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not gonna lie "The one without a lab" pretty much made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was pretty disappointed when he came back for the funeral. I was pumped as shit for an entire season of Dexter on the run from everyone, including his own sister. Also, how did he go from a brilliant faker of human emotions to telling Rita's parents "I'm sorry for your loss?" If Quinn doesn't start getting visions of Doakes from beyond the grave, this season could be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot read this! I'm still on Season 3!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This description makes me interested. I might actually watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dexter is a great show

    check my blogs for sick politics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope it was a good episode. I was busy watching How I Met Your Mother

    ReplyDelete
  16. Going to have to agree with Ason here, he basically stated everything that disappointed me. I mean come on now. :c

    ReplyDelete
  17. just watched the second episode of season 5.

    dexter is such a well done show...

    ReplyDelete
  18. just finished up the first season, can't wit to get caught up to the current episodes. i heard last seasons finale was nuts

    ReplyDelete